Public Health Agency Resources

Costilla County Prevention Partners
Costilla County Prevention Partners
P.O. Box 99
233 Main Street Suite C
San Luis, CO 81152
Phone: (719) 672-3332 ext. 3448
Fax: (719) 672-3856
Office Hours:
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday


The CCPP is an initiative focused on impacting community level change in the prevention of substance abuse and works to change people's perceptions, attitudes and habits around substance abuse. The program is supported by Tobacco Prevention funds.

At the core of the CCPP is its community based committee. Formed in February of 2006, the CCPP coalition is comprised of youth, business owners, service providers and citizens from Costilla County. Committee members participate in and provide direction for each step of the prevention process from planning through implementation. The CCPP committee meets monthly and welcomes interested participants at any time.

CCPP is optimistic about its capacity to bring positive change to Costilla County. The committee is an open group and parents, teachers, officials, youth and other community members are encouraged to join us and find out ways you can be involved in this process.

CCPP Links

State of Colorado Website for Retail Marijuana Information &, Resources

Communicable Diseases

Amber Maestas

COVID CI/CT Supervisor 

Office: (719) 672-3459

SLV Regional COVID Dial Information

CO Help: 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911

Visit the Office of Global Affairs' Communicable Diseases site for more information on communicable diseases.

Commodity Supplemental Food Program
Beverly Rodriguez

CSFP Coordinator

Office: (719) 672-3332


Office Location: 105 Gaspar Street, San Luis

Office Hours: The first three Tuesdays of each month. 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

COMMODITY SUPPLEMENTAL FOOD PROGRAM (CSFP) for elderly 60 years of age and older.

You can receive nutritious food items on a regular basis at absolutely no cost to you!

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve your health by supplementing your diet with nutritious USDA foods. CSFP food boxes are distributed monthly. The box contains food items such as cheese, rice, milk, canned fruits, canned vegetables and peanut butter.



the USDA website for CSFP Eligibility &, How To Apply.


What do I need?

1. Proof of your county residency (ex. Drivers license, rental agreement, utility bill etc.), and

2. Proof of your age (60 or older).

You must have a combined gross income which does not exceed the maximum income limit for the applicable household size.

Click the document below for income guidelines.

CSFP Income Guidelines

CSFP also provides nutrition education! In each month's box, you will find information on nutrition education topics relevant to older adults and a recipe incorporating one of the foods found in your box. CSFP food packages do not provide a complete diet, but are a good source of the nutrients typically lacking in the diets of older adults. Your CSFP box is important and should only be consumed by you.

You are only allowed to pick up your CSFP box from a single location, the one where you completed your application. It is illegal to participate at more than one site. If you should move and need to pick up your box from another location please notify Costilla County Commodities within 10 days after the change becomes known to your household and we will coordinate this site transfer for you.

If you are eligible to receive CSFP, you are automatically eligible to receive The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). Low income families are also eligible to receive TEFAP.

TEFAP distribution is the 1st Monday of the month (unless a Holiday) from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Link to The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) website


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442, or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en inglés), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA. 

Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de señas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en línea en: How to File a Complaint. y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por: 

(1)    correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 

(2)    fax: (202) 690-7442; o 

(3)    correo electrónico:

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.

Distribution Sites &, Times:

Food Bank Warehouse
8735 Independence Drive
Alamosa, CO 81101
CSFP: 4th Tuesday every month, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Blanca / Fort Garland:
Community Center
17591 East Highway 160
Fort Garland, CO 81133
CSFP: 2nd Wednesday each month, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Fire Station
13045 County Road 13 P.2
Garcia, CO 81152
CSFP: 2nd Wednesday each month, 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
San Luis:
CSFP Building
105 Gasper Street
San Luis, CO 81152
CSFP: First 3 Tuesdays of every month. 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
TEFAP: 1st Monday each month. 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Community Health Worker

Marietta Clarke 

Community Health Worker

Office: 719-672-3448 


To provide free cholesterol screenings for Costilla County Residents. Also provides lifestyle changes, exercise programs, and dietary counseling for at risk individuals.

Office Hours:

7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday


Assist clients in completing CHP Plus application for children 0-18 years old Assist clients in finding a medical home Collaborate with Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Nurse Family Partnership (NFP), Handicap Children Program (HCP), Head Start and San Luis Valley BOCES Assist with transportation reimbursement for Medicaid clients

Options For Long Term Care

Single Entry Point Notice (SEP)

On July 1, 2021, your current case management agency, Costilla County Public Health Agency, will no longer be the Single Entry Point (SEP) in Conejos and Costilla County. Your new case management agency will be Rocky Mountain Health Plans.

There is no action you need to take. Costilla County Public Health Agency will work with Rocky Mountain Health Plans to transition your case management services.

On June 1, 2021, a letter was mailed to you from Costilla County Public Health Agency outlining the SEP program changes.

If you have any additional questions before June 30, 2021, please contact Costilla County Public Health Agency at (719) 672-3332 or email

For questions after July 1, 2021, please contact Rocky Mountain Health Plans at (719) 982-6025 or email  You will be receiving information from Rocky Mountain Health Plans after July 1, 2021. 

Conejos-Costilla Options for Long Term Care (OLTC) aka Single Entry Point (SEP) is Costilla County's case management agency serving older adults and individuals with disabilities. The OLTC agency helps individuals navigate the long-term care service network to obtain assistance with daily living activities, such as eating, bathing, dressing, and homemaking tasks. Services can be arranged in someone\'s own home, an assisted living facility, or in a nursing facility.

Client must meet financial, medical, and program criteria to access services under a waiver. The financial eligibility component is completed by the county eligibility staff in the County where the recipient resides. The medical eligibility component is completed by the client\'s physician. The functional eligibility component is completed by the Costilla County OLTC. Our case managers complete functional eligibility assessments to determine is an individual is at risk of placement in a nursing facility, hospital, or ICF/MR (intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded). To utilize waiver benefits, client must be willing to receive services in their homes or communities. A client who receives services through a waiver is also eligible for all basic Medicaid covered services except nursing facility and long-term hospital care. When a client chooses to receive services under a waiver, the services must be provided by a certified Medicaid provider. The cost of waiver services cannot be more than the cost of placement in a nursing facility, hospital, or ICF/MR.

Waivers &, Services:

Children's Waivers:

Children's HCBS Waiver: To provide Medicaid benefits in the home or community for disabled children who would otherwise be ineligible for Medicaid due to excess parental income


Home Care Allowance:

This program provides direct client payments monthly to eligible individuals for the purchase of services related to activities of daily living which are necessary to enable the client to remain at home. The payment amount is added to any basic assistance grant the client receives and vanes according to the client need for paid care. The client pays the service provider, who may be a family member, neighbor, or agency. The provider must be 18 years or older. Skilled care may not be purchased through the HCA program.

Nursing Facility:

Our case managers complete assessments for individuals living in the community who will be entering a nursing facility.

Long Term Home Health:

Our case managers are responsible for prior authorization of all long term home services such as skilled nursing and certified nurse's aides for individuals ages 18 and over.

  • Homemaker
  • In-Home Support Services
  • Non-Medical Transportation
  • Personal Care
  • Personal Emergency Response System
  • Respite Care
  • Client Directed Attendant Support Services

Services offered under HCBS-EBD:

Alternative Care Facilities Adult Day Services Community Transition Services Home Modification

Adult Waivers:

HCBS Waiver for Persons with Brain Injury: To provide a home or community based alternative to hospital or specialized nursing facility care for persons with brain injury HCBS Waiver for Persons with Mental Illness: To provide a home or community based alternative to nursing facility care for personal with major mental illness HCBS Waiver for Persona Living AIDS: To provide a home or community based alternative to hospital or nursing facility care for personals living with HIV/AIDS HCBS Waiver for Persons who are Elderly, Blind, and Disabled: To provide a home or community based alternative to nursing facility care for elderly, blind, and disabled persons
Emergency Preparedness
Personal Care Provider
Gail Sanchez
PCP Supervisor
Phone: (719) 672-3332 ext. 3450
Cell: (719) 588-9766
Fax: (719) 672-3856
Bernadine Sanchez
PCP Assistant Supervisor
Phone: (719) 672-3332 ext. 3451
Cell: (719) 588-9767
Fax: (719) 672-3856
PCP Office
P.O. Box 99
233 Main Street Suite C
San Luis, CO 81152
Office Hours:
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday


Personal Care Provider (PCP) Service: Personal Care Providers (PCPs) are part of the OLTC program. The PCPs are bilingual, they come to the home on a regular basis and they form positive, caring relationships with their clients as they assist with their daily personal care and home-making needs. People enrolled in the OLTC program are eligible for PCP care.

Homemaker Job Description: Homemaker involves lifting (no more than 10 lbs), stooping, bending, pulling, pushing, twisting, stretching, and running errands. Homemaker services are provided in the home of an eligible client, when the individual ordinarily responsible for these activities is temporarily absent or unable to manage the household activities.

Personal Care Provider Job Description: Personal care involves lifting (no more than 10 lbs), stooping, bending, pulling, pushing, twisting, stretching. Personal Care Providers shall meet State Certification Standards established for personal care services by the state Medicaid rules as a Personal Care Provider.

Personal Care means services which are furnished to an eligible client in his/her home for the following purposes:

To meet the client's physical needs. To assist with client's maintenance or supportive needs when those services are not skilled personal care.

Personal Care Providers are paid $15 per hour.

Provider Certification and Recertification:

All Personal Care Providers (PCPs) are to be certified by the Personal Care Provider Agency (PCPA) by taking a twenty (20) hour course of instruction. This course is given by the Costilla County Public Health Agency or other authorized agency. An emergency certified provider may begin working with a client, and will be required to attend the next available certification class. PCPs will not be paid for attending the certification class. All PCPs must attend eight (8) in-service hours for continuing education units (CEUs) each calendar year to continue certification. Certification status will be effective January 1st thru December 31st. The training requirement shall be prorated in accordance with the number of months the employee was actively working for the agency. PCPs are required to attend all mandatory in-services offered by the CCPHA-Personal Care Provider Agency as long as they are actively employed. If a PCP is unable to attend he/she must call the agency and make arrangements with the PCP Supervisor to obtain the information. When a provider is on a leave of absence and is expected to return to work, the hours of recertification must continue. However this agency will not reimburse for CEUs during this leave of absence. PCPs will be reimbursed at their hourly rate for in-services, up to eight (8) hours, offered by this agency. If PCPs choose to attend in-services other than those offered by this agency, the PCP will be given CEUs but will not be paid for hours obtained outside this agency. First Aid, Nurse's Aide, and/or other health related or applicable in-services will be accepted as continuing education units, when preapproved by the PCP Supervisor. PCPs will be required to bring in written proof of attendance signed by the authorized person where that in-service was attended. PCPs must not take, borrow, nor accept money/gifts from the client. PCPs are not permitted to take friends or family members to work with them. PCPs are not allowed in the client's home when the client is not there. PCPs are not allowed to make personal or long distance phone calls from the client's home or during work time.
School Health
Office Hours:
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday

Required school immunizations given by CCPHA (charges based off of insurance, see expandable insurance information below for more information). Influenza vaccine available during flu season.

Office Hours:
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday

Immunizations are provided to prevent many childhood illnesses. We provide immunizations for children 0 through 18 years of age. Immunization services are provided on Thursdays from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and on a walk-in basis, Monday through Thursday. Public Health also provides an outreach immunization clinic once a month at the Blanca/Fort Garland Community Center from 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. CCPHA also provides Influenza vaccine during Flu Season. No child is ever turned away for inability to pay.

Insurance Information:

Children can be immunized at CCPHA and may be asked to pay a vaccine administration fee for each vaccine, which can be waived for families who cannot afford to pay the fee as follows:

  • Children who have no insurance
  • Children who are American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Children who are under-insured according to the CDC criteria:
    • Insurance does not cover any vaccines (for all vaccines)
    • Insurance does not cover certain vaccines (for those vaccines)
    • Insurance covers vaccines, but has a fixed dollar cap that has been reached (for all vaccines until the next insurance period)

Children who have Medicaid can be immunized at CCPHA and will not be asked to make any payment.

Costilla County Public Health Agency currently contracts with the following insurances to provide vaccines:

  • Anthem/Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • CHP+ Medicaid
  • Medicare (Part B)
  • Colorado Access
  • SLV HMO (aka Colorado Health Choice Plan)
  • Rocky Mountain Health Plan (aka HMO Colorado)

We are not able to provide vaccinations to individuals who have other insurances unless they are willing to pay for the vaccine and administrative fee. We do encourage you to seek the vaccine from your health care provider. Please understand also that if we bill your insurance and they do not pay you may be asked to reimburse CCPHA for the vaccination plus administrative charge. There may be a copay or deductible based on insurance.

CCPHA may have some vaccines available at low cost for uninsured and underinsured adults. Fully insured individuals may still be immunized through certain public health response activities including:

  • Outbreak response
  • Post-exposure prophylaxis
  • Disaster relief efforts
  • Mass vaccination campaigns or public health preparedness exercises